Monday, March 25, 2013

South Bend Lathe Restoration

South Bend Lathe Restoration



1941 Heavy 10 South Bend Lathe
Length of bed – 4 1/2 ft.
Serial No. 119631
Catalog No. 187R
_________________________________
I finally finished the restoration on my 50 dollar South Bend.
Before …
After …
The tray I fabricated out of 22 gauge sheet metal. For the lips I took some 3/8th inch hard drawn copper and used a cut-off wheel in a dremel to cut a slot lengthwise in the copper. I then slipped it over the end of the sheet metal and soldered it all together.
I made a mistake when measuring for the tray and it ended up an inch longer than I wanted. Someone in the past had mounted a tray and I didn’t want to drill new holes in the lathe so I just made some clips out of brass and hung the tray using the old holes.
The drawer I made out of 26 gauge paint lock.
Every thing was stripped to bare metal then primed and painted and all the hardware was polished. New felts and wicks. New Bearings in the 3/4 hp instant reversing GE motor.
The paint is ALK 200 industrial acrylic enamel. I used two shades of gray. Lighter gray for the base, bed and headstock. A shade darker gray on the doors and covers, gear box and apron. And a little black for some contrast.
A huge thanks to Kenny (sicero from the Practical Machinist Forum) for selling the parts I was missing.
Thanks for looking,
Shane

Published at www.shanewhitlock.com

2 σχόλια:

  1. i have the same southbend lathe, would like to refurbish it. any tips on how to get it to look like new , polishing, blasting,solvents... thanks tommy z houbydouby@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice information, Thanks for sharing this article with us, If you are looking for best brands of Southbend parts in budget friendly prices in USA, Then Here we have many options with best top selling Southbend parts, so choose here Southbend parts which is best for you.

    ReplyDelete